Monday, December 6, 2010

rush, rush, rush

Addressing Christmas cards, 
Decorating, 
Trimming the tree,
Filling Christmas orders, 
Baking, 
Christmas performances,
Wrapping presents,
Visiting Santa,
Thinking up last minute gift ideas,
Checking item after item after item off of my to-do list...
and before you know it, it's all over.

I hate rushing through Christmas.  

Yesterday I was forced to slow down.  

While attending one activity for Porter and getting ready to leave early for Brooklyn's next activity, she fell off the bleachers and cut her chin open.  
So far in my mothering, I haven't experienced that kind of blood.  
I thought when I eventually did, it would be Porter and not Brooklyn.  We went to the hospital, Brooklyn in her ballet costume and all, and luckily they were able to fix her up with glue instead of stitches.  I would have been a mess for sure.  She was such a brave little ballerina and left with a smile and lots of snowman stickers.  Thank the Lord!
So far I have the stable set up, but the rest of my nativity scene was out of my reach in the attic.  While I was getting dinner ready that evening, Brooklyn placed her paper plate angel from school on top.  She called me over and told me her pink angel would watch over Baby Jesus.  I love that she knew what the stable was for before there were any figures inside.  

This week I'm deliberately slowing way down and enjoying the special Christmas moments instead of just rushing through from one to the next. 

4 witty remarks:

Denissa said...

So sorry about Brooklyn! Our message @ church was about the exact same thing, about slowing down. I told myself that I will do the same this year too!

Georgia Girl said...

I know the feeling...I am up to my neck with Nutcracker practices and regular dance classes but thank goodness after the weekend I can get my decor out and not just half way all over my dining room.

So sorry to hear about your little one, mine also had a mishap but I used liquid stitch on her hand...she got into my meat/kitchen scissors and stabbed her palm with them. Thank goodness my oldest daughter is a nurse and fixed her all up instead of going to the hospital.

Have a great week!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Everywhere I look, I am again reminded about how truly wonderful this season is - thanks!

momof3girls said...

I love your stable and the angel!!!