Friday, November 20, 2009

Baskets & Boxes

When you live in a barely over 1,000 square foot house, you tend to get creative about where you stash all of your stuff. I like to collect different baskets and boxes from garage sales and Goodwill. I especially love finding items that aren't technically "baskets" to gather my belongings. These are some photos I snapped around my house tonight.

a catch-all for paper towels, cookbooks, school papers and chickens

this may have been used in the past for bread (?) maybe, but now it contains doll blankies and pillows

a basket o' panties

repurposed garbage drawer used for Blanche's bows

my favorite old wooden crate with current reading material

shoes by the front door

Now, I really enjoy placing things in baskets that don't really need to be in baskets. I feel like it gives my vignettes depth. or something.
For instance my lamp, plate and scale in a basket,

or a pretend microwave in a little box (tray)

I sleep well knowing my canisters won't accidentally get separated.

The number one purpose for my baskets and boxes is storing the insane amount of toys that could easily take over this tiny house.
It's nice if there's a lid to sort of hide the toys.

little suitcase turned pony barn

and a three tier toy storage system...formerly photo boxes
That's what I've got for today. Where do you guys keep your crap?
I can't wait to show you my new closet-very soon.

6 witty remarks:

samantha said...

We may start calling you the basket queen!

Macey said...

I want that toile one.

Melinda said...

Baskets, bins, bags whatever works!

Melinda

Angie said...

I think all the baskets and bins looks so cute! I actually don't use them a lot, but I need to. Closet organization is on my to do list.

Samantha said...

when I move into my new house Im going to be looking at your site a lot of inspiration and ideas. Im pretty sure Good Will is going to have to become my best friend. I love baskets too! We have a bunch in our house- clothes, books, toys, pillows etc

Ramona said...

Hey there Jill ~ This is a charming post. Someone should do a basket swap...I would join in! I love the ponies!

Smiles ~ Ramona