Monday, June 24, 2013

a must share

I have three things that are so awesome, I have to share them with you!

1.  First.  Picture this. Out with these girls, you can't see, but I'm wearing white capris.  There was an incident involving a wheelchair and a glass of red wine.  Don't ask.  I thought the white capris were done.

I came home and soaked them overnight in cold water.  The next morning I sprayed my magic Pinterest potion of two parts peroxide to one part Dawn dish soap on them and left them alone for about 15 minutes.  When I came back, the purple disaster had disappeared!  I gave them a wash and they were as good as new!  Try it!
Next.  (Is this the cutest tushie you have ever seen?)  You know how sometimes your towels just start smelling rank?  My husband had been constantly complaining that when he dried off, the smell of the towels were making him barf.  I don't know, maybe this hasn't happened to you.  The towels were new-ish and I didn't want to replace them.  The solution: First I washed the towels in hot water with baking soda.  I didn't really measure it, I just dumped a bunch in.  As soon as the washing cycle was done, I washed them again in just vinegar.  (Again, no measuring, just dump a bunch.)  When that wash cycle was complete, I went ahead and used my regular detergent.  Then I dried them on high with a fabric softener sheet.  I am not kidding you, the towels smell a million times better!  Try it!
And last, but not least, my husband has started wearing this deodorant and it is like the best smelling man deodorant on the market!  It's kinda fruity and manly all at once.  Buy some for the special man in your life!

Does anyone have any other good tips they would like to share?

4 witty remarks:

sharon said...

I have had trouble with my kitchen towels and wash cloths smelling gross even when they come out of the washer and dryer. And then the first time I get them wet or use them, my hands stink! I heard a tip somewhere that vinegar takes care of it. So, for years now, I have washed any stinky towels with vinegar. I keep a big gallon jug next to the washing machine. But, I don't go to all of the effort you do. I just add it to my wash with my regular detergent. They do not come out smelling like vinegar at all. The gross smell is gone and everything smells fine at the end. (I use Kirkland - Costco brand detergent without any fragrance.) Try it, it might save you some time and you can get it done in 1 load instead of doing 3 washings - since you might be at a busy stage of life and not really want to wash everything 3 times. :)

mapleleavessycamoretrees said...

I tried the vinegar wash with my towels and sure enough--it works! I also did the vinegar thing with my washing machine (it smelled like poop) and behold--the stank was gone! Vinegar is where it's at, baby! I just pinned a recipe to make liquid hand soap. Totally trying it. No vinegar in that though;)

Em said...

vinegar and NO dryer sheets! That's what causes the stank in the first place. They leave a residue that don't allow your towels to dry all the way. I can't wait to go sniff that man deodorant... must go to Target, now!

mom2maya said...

I have that happen with my pool towels, they are colored and I can't dump a bunch of real clorox on them. Good to know!