Wednesday, December 7, 2011

a tiny little seed of doubt planted...

...and a tiny little piece of magic taken away.  

Is it just because Porter is my first-born that any time he feels something other than pure happiness, I am just crushed?  Or maybe it's because he is the most tender-hearted of my kiddos.

So, in the car after school yesterday:
P: "Mom, so-and-so's dad said that Santa isn't real."

Mommy: "Wait, what?...Why would anyone say such a thing?!"

P: "But I know he is...how else would the presents get in our house?"

Mommy: "Exactly!"

Really, first grade?  I was thinking this would happen more around 3rd or 4th.  I don't really want to get into a discussion about Santa vs. Jesus.  In our house we know that first and foremost Christmas is for celebrating Jesus' birth, however Santa is a fun part of the festivities. 

One of my best childhood Christmas memories was when Santa knocked on our door on Christmas eve and gave my sister and I each Care Bear jammies.  He told us to listen up through the fireplace and we could hear his reindeer on the roof..and we really could!  I still don't know how it happened, but we heard stomping and jingle bells.  
That's the magic I want for my kids!

3 witty remarks:

Traci said...

Ugh when I taught 2nd grade the kids were split 1/3 and 2/3 on the subject.

Have you seen this on pinterest yet? http://www.cozi.com/live-simply/truth-about-santa

Poor Porter. :(

TLF said...

Whoa!! My 4th grader says she still believes... but she could be just yanking my chain. ;-)

Meredith said...

I understand so-and-so's older brother told me, but a dad?!