Monday, January 18, 2010

Sprucing up/Put a wreath on it

Guess what? 
I am not decorating for Valentines day. 
I just don't feel like it. 
Of course I will hang up all of the beautiful thoughtful artwork my children make at school but I'm not bringing down the box of Valentine decorations.
It's just that once all of the suffocating Christmas decor was cleared out I kind of liked the look of emptiness. 
So I just did some sprucing up.


Something new to think about in the new year.


After I took the stockings off, I decided to leave the ladder. 
Whenever I'm at a loss for how to decorate something, my motto is:
"If you like it then you shoulda put a wreath on it." 
It has worked for me so far.


I took the cardinal tree topper off of the tree and stuck it up on the armoire. 
I also replaced a little wreath on the window with this big mama.  "All the single ladies..."
Then I filled the jars (a birthday present from Samantha) with some berry stick things and moss.



After I removed the holiday garb from the front of my house it just looked too naked. 
I stuck a little wreath on the rickedy old chair with my favorite burlap ribbon. 
("Oh, oh, oh.  Oh, oh, oh...")
I found a new home for my family sign too.


When Spring gets here, I'll fill my pot with weeds flowers.
I stuck a basket of burlap and pinecones in the box. 


On my bookshelf I took the burlap bow that I had made for my Christmas wreath and stuck it on top of the birdcage.  I just couldn't see throwing away a perfectly good burlap bow just because the wreath was dead.


And finally I ripped out the little birdie and nest that was hot glued in this cage and filled it with some wooden stars I picked up at Goodwill. 

I think everything's good and spruced up now. 
"Put your hands up."



12 witty remarks:

Macey said...

You better put a ring on it...all the single ladies...
Go Beyonce!
Love the little changes. Super cute. As usual!

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Looks GREAT! I feel that some years about Easter decor... Just don't feel like it, and you know what THAT IS OKAY! Love all your lil wreath touches!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Everything is so cute. I love that ladder! I am trying to find one to hang from the ceiling over my island. Love the wreaths! I actually like decorating for Valentine's more than Christmas. Is that weird? There isn't as much stuff and it doesn't feel as cluttered to me. I get a little claustrophobic with all of the Christmas stuff up!

XOXO
Jen

Kerry McKibbins said...

Love your style. So glad I found your blog!

Gina said...

Looks great! I love that verse, what a great thing to focus on at the beginning of the year. And simple really feels nice after the Holidays!

Threebusybs said...

I was at the junk shop in corvallis on Sunday ( I was surprised they were open, I 'bout flipped a u-ie in the middle of the road but turned around at the next block instead) outside they had an old wooden 7up crate, I looked at it, picked up, thought about it, and put it BACK!! Now that I see your post, I must return for it. Hopefully, it will still be there. I really must learn a lesson from this. Last time I was there, I picked up, thought about and old scale and put it back too!! When I couldnt get it out of my mind I went back for it and it was GONE!

Aimee

adrienne said...

oh jill, you make my day:)

Heather said...

Too cute!

I really love the verse you picked, too!

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Tonya said...

I just came across your blog and I love it. You have super cute decorating ideas. My most favorite is your red picture frame with the letter B and the rake you turned into a family sign... Love It!!

Amber said...

just found your blog and i love your style! very creative. going to be getting lots of inspiration from you :)