Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas Ballerina

Brooklyn's very first dance performance is this weekend. She is pretty excited and so am I (obviously). Their costumes are going to be red or green tutus with a Christmas shirt. All the moms in her class got a lesson in tutu making. It was so easy I wanted to share it with you.




We started with five yards of tulle. (2 1/2 white and 2 1/2 red) and two yards of ribbon.
Then we rolled the tulle length-wise into a long roll and made a cut every 3 inches, which left us with lots of strips.

We folded the strips in half twice and then looped them around the ribbon,
over and over and over again until the ribbon was full.
I alternated my colors for a candy cane effect. Ca-ute idea on my part.
I looked at the holiday tees from Old Navy, but didn't really like any of them.

Instead, I took a plain white tee (hey there Delilah) and found a felt sticker in my Christmas crafts. I pinned it to the shirt and hand stitched around it.

While I was digging around the Christmas crafts, I found a jingle bell napkin ring that I picked up on clearance last year. I took a wire cutter and broke open the circle and the bells came right off.

Every ten tulle strips I tied on a ribbon with a bell attached. The jingling sound is so appropriate for the occasion.

Here's the finished shirt. Pretty cute for practically free.

I love the way it turned out. The little girls are going to be darling in their coordinating tutus. Jacie's is green and white tulle with red ribbon (my idea).
I also made a wreath tonight...
...a perfect gift for the wine enthusiast.


6 witty remarks:

Macey said...

Where do you buy those corks???

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Love the tutu with bells!! So stinkin' cute. The t-shirt is adorable too...Am hoping to get my craft on today and finish our front door wreath, I think I'll be adding some ribbons and bells now thank you very much! : )

Lindsey said...

Super cute tutu! I'd love to make one but I don't think Ryan would let me put it on Dylan! :) I'll just have to wait until I have a girl!!

Also, I LOVE your wine cork wreath, can you tell me how you did it? I have corks lying around that I've been wanting to make something out of!

Melinda said...

Very cute--these tutus must be popular because this is the second one I've seen. :)
The cork wreath would be good for a wine lover--great idea!

Melinda

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Cute tutu and the wreath is fun Jill!

XOOX
Jen

Anonymous said...

How cute (and the tutu is cute too LOL!!!)