Monday, October 12, 2009

1 Hour and $23.69

That's all it took!

Then why, oh why didn't you do this sooner, you ask.
Sometimes I get so sidetracked with life in general scheming up new projects that I don't deal with the obvious ones hanging right from my ceiling.
We have lived here for over four years and I've never taken this hideous brass fixture down to spray paint it. It never even occurred to me that those ugly flowered cover things can be removed and replaced. As you can see, I never even bothered to dust the thing I hated it so much.

So approximately one hour of my time and $23.69 later...

it went from this

to this!
Don't you think it's like five million times better??

Oil rubbed bronze in my new FAVORITE color. I can't believe I've never bought it before. Yes the cord is still gold. I'm not sure what to do about that. But I'm so, so pleased with the results! Did you notice my curtains in the background? They are very slowly coming along (life and birthday parties keep getting in the way).

Thanks Melina for the sweet award!



20 witty remarks:

Jane Anne said...

I love it. Now, I am checking out my kitchen lights... and guess what I found... cobwebs. Great.

Enchantresses Three said...

Oh my freakin goodness!!! It looks AMAZING!!! I too love oil rubbed bronze! Great transformation my friend!
Hugs,
Sariah

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Looks GREAT, I just hung a chandie too...

samantha said...

NICE! Much much better. Have you checked out the rest of the lights in your house?

samantha said...

NICE! Much much better. Have you checked out the rest of the lights in your house?

Anonymous said...

I thought Derek and I did all the work.

Signed,
The Help

Junkie Gems said...

Great job Jill. I did that too to a crystal chandelier and I LUV it! enjoy your "new" light in your life.
Cindy

Cheryl said...

I would love to do the same to mine. You know, couldn't you spray paint the chain too?

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

haha, barfarama is right :) but man you turned this around and made it 100% better for SURE. good work!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Looks great! You could spray the cord or create a fabric slipcover for the cord.

Crystal said...

make a little cord cover for it. It looks great, I am getting ready to do the same to ours. We just realized we could turn ours up, they were pointed down. Cant wait t post that one.

Ashlee said...

WOW! that is a transformation! Nice Job!

Fawn said...

Super cute... our house came complete with those hideous brass things too. Unfortunately, I replaced them before I saw this idea :) Yours looks fab-u, though, great job!

beth said...

Oh, I love it!! SO much better. Looks like a totally different fixture. Very nice!! :)

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

What a transformation! Love the not-at-all-barfy "after".

Room to Inspire said...

Great transformation! It looks great in its new color and new shades.

Chelsea

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

brass is sooo yesterday! It looks terrific!
gail

Kristin said...

Oh, wow. Who would have thought? The difference is amazing! Great job!

KimMalk said...

@ Cheap Chic Home. If anybody notices the cord, they probably aren't a good friend anyway! I do like the cord sleeve idea, though!

Anonymous said...

Love it! We've also been in our house 4 years with an 80's brass light fixture in our dining room. (It's been on the to-do list since day 1, but the whole electricity thing has gotten in the way.) When my hubby said it wouldn't take 5 minutes to take it down, it moved to the top of the list. He, however, sees nothing wrong with it the way it is now. I just sent him your post...THANK YOU...I think he'll "get it" now. (The "barf-o-rama" will really get him:)