Friday, July 31, 2009

ReVamping & Mothering

I'm giving my bedroom a long overdue and much needed transformation. Since we moved here 4 years ago, this room has gotten the least attention. It's so small that I just gave up on it. In keeping with my theme of 2009, it was time to start revamping the love nest.

I bought this window frame at a garage sale for $1 and knew right away that it should go above my bed. I love that little feather nest stuck up there! Ahhh and look at that cute wedding pic.

Someday (it's like #429 on my decorating to do list) I'm going to paint all of my bedroom furniture black, but I don't have time today.
I took the birdcage from the living room and hot glued a piece a fabric around the lamp shade ala Melissa.

I shopped some more around the living room (since Lori thinks it's too cluttered anyway) and moved the shutter and my birdie on a stick to the revamped love nest.

I'm headed to Wally right now for more ring clip things for the curtains and some bamboo shades.

There's more to come.

I hung my chalkboard window at the end of my hall. I would have centered it, but the bloody light switch was in the way.
Oh well, I'll just slap a wreath up next to it.
In my first house, I was obsessed with painting all of the woodwork in the house white, and I painstakingly did it every night after work until the whole house was done.
And I loved it.
That was also before I had two loud voices following me everywhere yelling:

Mommy!
He hit me!
She took my Power Ranger!
Can I have a piece of bread?
He's touching my leg!
Can I have a piece of cheese?
Mommy!
Mommy!!
Can I watch Dora?
Can I, Can I?
Mommy!
She kicked me!
I want a popsicle!
Mommy!!!

Oh, I got a little sidetracked there. Anyway I hate the color of this woodwork, ew! Someday I might paint it all white,
but truthfully I would rather buy a new house.
***
Today was just one of those days where I had to remind myself aloud that this is what I wanted. This is what I wanted to be when I grew up. This is the role I prayed for every night.
I truly wanted this.

I do want this.
Whoa, I think I just had a moment.



16 witty remarks:

Jane Anne said...

Those are the moments I live for.

Love the redecorating! I also love the quilt on your bed.

Seth suggested last week that I have you come help with picking out paint colors. You would hate my house. It's so boring.

Jessica said...

You house is not boring JA. I would call it fresh, homey and uncluttered.

The so-called "wood work" in my house is AWFUL. I don't know why they didn't go with white (cause they were cheap I'm sure). I think about replacing it all or painting it, then I look around and it's so much...

Love the bedroom so far! The tie on the lampshade rocks!

The Cockrells said...

lol. i love it when people have conversations with themselves, because i do it all the time!

i love your distressed chalkboard! and i just bought some frames at goodwill to frame objects instead of pictures; love that idea!

Anonymous said...

Was this before or after your breakdown????????????????????

Stacia Howard said...

I love the window frame & all the "love nest" items above your bed! TOTALLY love it! Very cute!
Everything looks great.

I think every Mommy has moments like that...this IS what you wanted...sometimes, even often, we need to remind ourselves that this comes with what we signed up for though. lol

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

WoW... CUTE, decor!! I love ALL fun decor...

Anonymous said...

Too bad that bedroom is more rat's nest than love nest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jill said...

Hey, I'm cleaning it, aren't I???

Samantha @ Mama Notes said...

oh that new header is my favorite.

serious this time.

MiMi said...

Aw...that's sweet!
The new love nest looks awesome. :)

samantha said...

Very cozy

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Love that chalkboard and the description of your kiddos and why you won't paint your wood trim! Made me smile!

JobandBrittany said...

i love the size of this chalkboard!!

melissa said...

I love the long rectangle shape of this and the verse you put on it. Painting woodwork is a pain in the rear, but you're doing awesome~look what you've done so far! Love your conversation with yourself~it's one I have often and then I think God gives you a little glimpse of how important what you're doing really is and it gives you the strength to do it another day...thanks for linking up, Jill!

edeenut said...

I love the frame of your chalkboard all roughed up!

Vanessa said...

I love love love your window chalkboard! I made one out of a mirror, but never thought of using a window! Great verse, too! And I couldn't help but chuckle at your mommy moment! Good to know that I'm not the only one who has those!