Friday, July 31, 2009

ReVamping & Mothering

I'm giving my bedroom a long overdue and much needed transformation. Since we moved here 4 years ago, this room has gotten the least attention. It's so small that I just gave up on it. In keeping with my theme of 2009, it was time to start revamping the love nest.

I bought this window frame at a garage sale for $1 and knew right away that it should go above my bed. I love that little feather nest stuck up there! Ahhh and look at that cute wedding pic.

Someday (it's like #429 on my decorating to do list) I'm going to paint all of my bedroom furniture black, but I don't have time today.
I took the birdcage from the living room and hot glued a piece a fabric around the lamp shade ala Melissa.

I shopped some more around the living room (since Lori thinks it's too cluttered anyway) and moved the shutter and my birdie on a stick to the revamped love nest.

I'm headed to Wally right now for more ring clip things for the curtains and some bamboo shades.

There's more to come.

I hung my chalkboard window at the end of my hall. I would have centered it, but the bloody light switch was in the way.
Oh well, I'll just slap a wreath up next to it.
In my first house, I was obsessed with painting all of the woodwork in the house white, and I painstakingly did it every night after work until the whole house was done.
And I loved it.
That was also before I had two loud voices following me everywhere yelling:

Mommy!
He hit me!
She took my Power Ranger!
Can I have a piece of bread?
He's touching my leg!
Can I have a piece of cheese?
Mommy!
Mommy!!
Can I watch Dora?
Can I, Can I?
Mommy!
She kicked me!
I want a popsicle!
Mommy!!!

Oh, I got a little sidetracked there. Anyway I hate the color of this woodwork, ew! Someday I might paint it all white,
but truthfully I would rather buy a new house.
***
Today was just one of those days where I had to remind myself aloud that this is what I wanted. This is what I wanted to be when I grew up. This is the role I prayed for every night.
I truly wanted this.

I do want this.
Whoa, I think I just had a moment.



16 witty remarks:

Jane Anne said...

Those are the moments I live for.

Love the redecorating! I also love the quilt on your bed.

Seth suggested last week that I have you come help with picking out paint colors. You would hate my house. It's so boring.

Jessica said...

You house is not boring JA. I would call it fresh, homey and uncluttered.

The so-called "wood work" in my house is AWFUL. I don't know why they didn't go with white (cause they were cheap I'm sure). I think about replacing it all or painting it, then I look around and it's so much...

Love the bedroom so far! The tie on the lampshade rocks!

-G- said...

lol. i love it when people have conversations with themselves, because i do it all the time!

i love your distressed chalkboard! and i just bought some frames at goodwill to frame objects instead of pictures; love that idea!

Anonymous said...

Was this before or after your breakdown????????????????????

Stacia Howard said...

I love the window frame & all the "love nest" items above your bed! TOTALLY love it! Very cute!
Everything looks great.

I think every Mommy has moments like that...this IS what you wanted...sometimes, even often, we need to remind ourselves that this comes with what we signed up for though. lol

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

WoW... CUTE, decor!! I love ALL fun decor...

Anonymous said...

Too bad that bedroom is more rat's nest than love nest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Hey, I'm cleaning it, aren't I???

Samantha said...

oh that new header is my favorite.

serious this time.

Macey said...

Aw...that's sweet!
The new love nest looks awesome. :)

samantha said...

Very cozy

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Love that chalkboard and the description of your kiddos and why you won't paint your wood trim! Made me smile!

Brittany said...

i love the size of this chalkboard!!

Melissa said...

I love the long rectangle shape of this and the verse you put on it. Painting woodwork is a pain in the rear, but you're doing awesome~look what you've done so far! Love your conversation with yourself~it's one I have often and then I think God gives you a little glimpse of how important what you're doing really is and it gives you the strength to do it another day...thanks for linking up, Jill!

edeenut said...

I love the frame of your chalkboard all roughed up!

Vanessa said...

I love love love your window chalkboard! I made one out of a mirror, but never thought of using a window! Great verse, too! And I couldn't help but chuckle at your mommy moment! Good to know that I'm not the only one who has those!