Monday, June 13, 2011

another example of my childhood memories being tarnished

My Little Pony, My Little Pony...
That song is stuck in my head 24/7 because little Miss Blanche is in love with My Little Ponies, well "Pretty Ponies" as she calls them.  
Have you seen the ponies lately?  They hardly resemble a horse at all.  
Let's take a look way back in the 80's when these were my favorite toys...
This is how the original ponies looked, like an actual horse, except they were a little more colorful than a live horse.  It was the 80's and a purple mane was cute. 
This is Cotton Candy, one of the first ones I got.
Oh my word, I played with this stable for hours every day...I wonder if my mom still has this somewhere.
Then the company started changing things up a bit.  Some unicorns and a pegasus were introduced.  I had these too.
Apparently sea horses were added to the mix as well. 
Some baby unicorns came along.
Then (big change) the heads became tilted and the ponies started doing a little toe pop.
Then they got fuzzy,
and shiny.
Oh, I always wanted to get Megan!
Which reminds me of her, Lady Lovely Locks.  I did have her.
And her little dog too.
Somewhere along the line, when I wasn't playing with them anymore, the ponies became long and lean.

Then the ponies just went all to heck.  They became all angular and contoured.
Pinkie Pie did a total transformation and got her name branded on her back leg.
And while I was searching for pony pics, I kept stumbling upon freaks like these people!  What?!
So anyway, Pinkie Pie grows and grows and you can style her hair.
New babies come along that sit very unlike a pony would.
Somehow their eyes start taking up almost all of their face and the nose/snout/thing shrinks.
These would be Brooklyn's favorite, the Ponyville figures.  She loves to play with anything that is little and plastic.
Then someone did this for fun.
And here we are with today's totally weird, alien looking My Little Ponies...and Princess Celestia, but I haven't quite figured out where she comes in with the history.  Spike is the little dragon. 
Here he is originally.
Original Apple Jack and today's Apple Jack.
Original Rainbow Dash
And today's Rainbow Dash
Original Fluttershy
Today's Fluttershy

Whatever... times change, Ponies change.
Don't even get me started on her!

7 witty remarks:

Pam said...

OMG! I was ALL.ABOUT. the my little pony! I have not seen her changes till this post and I have to say... she is anorexic looking. boo.
ps. the tattoo people are freaky!

Meredith said...

Oh. . .I wish I would have kept my ponies. What are they thinking giving ponies plastic hair? How are you supposed to brush plastic hair?

mapleleavessycamoretrees said...

Wow. Talk about a blast from the past! Remember Rainbow Bright? Loved her and those little Sprites. Oh and of course Strawberry Shortcake. Shoot, my whole room was decked out in her stuff. Ahh...the good ol' days! And um, yeah, what's up with the anorexic/freaky looking ponies??

Cassie Bustamante said...

and do you know there is a cartoon on the hub that both my kids like.... and those ponies don't even look ike either doll- they are rather trollish and not sweet at all.
clearly the new ponies are underfed. someone get them some oats!!!

Em said...

I was just about to say, "that must be a new change" because my daughter is 10 and.... then I thought "my daughter is TEN"... they must have changed in the past 10 years *sniff* because hers are more like the original. By the way, My Little Ponies were my number 2 favorite toy... second ONLY to Barbie.

Alicia said...

Thanks for the trip down My Little Pony lane! I loved them so! I did have the Megan doll and I also had a My Little Pony house even...never really understood why there was a house...guess it was Megans?? ha ha! I agree that they look totally weird now and it's horrible that you can't brush their hair anymore!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Never noticed the differences in the ponies but Strawberry Shortcake. Oh no. I so wish my girls could play with the older version. They do have the old DVD.

I'm starting a Make a List Monday Linky party on Mondays and the beginning of the week. Would love it if you could join! :)

Crystal