Monday, November 16, 2009

For the love of school pictures (and burlap)

Here's a cute little project for you.
This started out with a mirror in it. My first idea was to spray the mirror with chalkboard paint and hang it in Brooklyn's room. But, in all reality, Brooklyn has way too much crap in her room. I was just thinking since it was pink and all...


I took it out to the garage and sprayed it down with Heirloom White.

I found this roll of cork that was purchased over the summer at a garage sale. It now had a purpose. I knew it eventually would.

First I traced around the back of the frame and cut a piece from the roll,

then I squirted some glue all over it,

then weighed it down. Yeah I was drinking Diet Pepsi and coffee simultaneously. What?

OOOOhhh, Ahhhhh, Burlap.
I hot glued around the back, being not so careful because it's the back after all.
then popped it back into place.

I'm already liking it, but it needs something else.
Numbers.
For sure.
These were just sitting in my disastrous laundry room craft room after being purchased for a mere $2 at Goodwill some time ago.
After spraying the 6 with Oil Rubbed Bronze, I used Liquid Nails (for the first time) to attach it.

Cute!
Seriously cute.

From all angles.
There is one thing it needs for a finishing touch.
Oh, yes, I know just what it is.

some Oil Rubbed Bronze sprayed push pins...and...

my little Blanche's school picture.
AWWWW.
Do you like it too?


18 witty remarks:

samantha said...

I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. I know where it would look just great in my kitchen hint hint =)

samantha said...

I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. I know where it would look just great in my kitchen hint hint =)

Sara said...

L-O-V-E, love it! What a great find & redo!

David and Amy Sheldon said...

Great work!! Is that a turtle on the six?? I need to hit some garage sales with you, the stuff you and your mom find is amazing!!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

That is stinkin' cute!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Jill - that is so cute. Seriously, I LOVE everything about it!!!

Great job!

XOOX
Jen

Katie @ Favorites and Things said...

That looks so cute! I would love to make one for my kitchen!

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Very cute project!

Vanessa said...

What a great project! So cute AND functional!

kfredricksen said...

Cute, that would look great in my kitchen. Kim

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

WOW! You did a great job and I love the number! SO cute.

Macey said...

I knew Jen would love it!! She's totally rockin' the burlap lately! It looks so cute!

Kristen Ann said...

This is a great idea. I may attempt this!
Question? Does the strong spray paint smell ever fade? That is my only problem when I have spray painted... my house reaks of paint.

Melinda said...

Nifty repurpose!
But where did you put it??

Melinda

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That looks so great! Thanks for sharing.

Ramona said...

Jill, Jill, Jill ~ Are you kidding? This is the cutest thing EVER! You did such a great job...and wonderful attention to detail. I love it.

Don't you wish that you invented burlap? I sure do!

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Smiles ~ Ramona

Room to Inspire said...

What a great before and after! It looks amazing. I love the color and the addition of the burlap board. Great job!

Chelsea

Tiffany said...

LOVE it! This is so great! The number was the perfect touch! I love numbers, can't go wrong with them!