Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The time I was making Halloween treats and everything was going wrong.

Honestly if it weren't for the last minute nothing would get done around here. Porter's class party is today so I went to the office yesterday. I planned to make the treats last night, but I wasn't planning on everything being a huge issue.

First I come home to this. Things like this only happen when I'm at work. (Do you see her nice fat lip? She fell and bit it at school.)

I still can't figure this one out. When I added the food coloring to the melted white chocolate chips, it turned to the weirdest doughy-cheese-curdy consistency. I tried two different bags of chocolate chips and this happened both times. I had to make another trip to Wally and ended up just buying the orange candy melts.

No store in my town had the white lollipop sticks. I was fretting about having to drive somewhere else to find some when my husband had the idea to use mini craft sticks. They are so cute and just the right size for preschoolers.

First let me say these are WITCHES.
Some people (who will remain nameless) had a ten minute laughing session about how they look like turkeys with pilgrim hats on. Witches have pointy noses right? They do not look like beaks. They have warts on them. These witches were supposed to have green faces but apparently you can't get green saran wrap until Christmas. Witches can have purple faces, there's nothing wrong with that. Oh I also ran out of the purple saran wrap after making only three WITCHES and I needed four.
Please just tell me they really look like witches and not turkeys.
Finally the treats are ready for the party.
I didn't really explain what they were, did I?
Marshmallows dipped in candy melts with sprinkles on a stick for the kids, and Carmel corn WITCH heads for the teachers.
Next up will be pictures from today's party with the three of us in our costumes!


8 witty remarks:

Brooke said...

Sounds like my night last night. Walmart was out of everything that I tried to buy, even food coloring! Have you ever had marshmallows dipped in caramel. It's heavenly! Lori might remember them...a lady at Walmart in Lebanon used to make them around the holidays. And I think your witches are cute!

familyofsix said...

They totally look like turkeys! Ha green saran wrap would have helped. oh well you still rock!

Macey said...

I think everything looks good. I never would have thought they looked like turkeys, but now...

Jane Anne said...

Where do you get all of your amazing ideas? You don't have to post the answer. Just let me know. I'll keep it a secret. Promise.

Jessica said...

Your treats look amazing! And I'm sorry, but I don't see turkeys at all :) Just an FYI the white chocolate looks like it seized. Something about the water in the food coloring makes it get all funky when it comes into contact with the fats in the chocolate. There are special food colorings just for chocolate, but the discs are much easier! Hope that makes sense! LOL! Have a great Halloween!!! LOVE your Blog!
Jessica

cherry said...

I think they are adorable Jill! You are lucky you can do treats for them...we have to buy store bought...I thought all of ORegon was like that? Anyways...tooo cute

Anonymous said...

They TOTALLY looked like witches and I loved loved loved them! Thanks for making the party extra special! Good job!
Lori

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love how you have wrapped your treats, Jill. What a cute wire basket too.

ps. Thanks for saying Hi today. :)