Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Air Supply & Aging

On my way to the office this morning I drove past my old high school while listening to Air Supply's greatest hits. Something about doing that, plus the fact that my birthday is around the corner gets me all nostalgic about my youth.

Air Supply wins for best breakup songs of all time.

Listening to them makes me want to be 16 and in the middle of a breakup. Even though it was probably painful at the time, I just remember the carefree-ness of it now.

This is how I know I'm getting old: when I see the teenagers walking into school I can't tell by their outward appearance which ones are the "cool" kids. It seems like in the old days there were very distinct groups, and one could be placed in a group, i.e. jock, nerd, stoner, just by what clothes they had on. Maybe they did away with cliques, because the kids all look the same to me.
I am almost 30 though.

30.

I think this is where I thought I'd be at 30. Small town, husband, blond little boy, sassy little girl.

I try to imagine what my high school teachers thought of my friends and me now that I'm about the same age as they were. We thought we were actual adults just because we had cars, nail appointments and "serious" relationships. We spent our days obsessing about our latest "serious" fight with our boyfriends and worrying about being tan/skinny/cute enough for those boyfriends. If only I could reach back in time and shake myself until a glimpse of the future fell into my head.

I really wanted to pull my car over and shake those kids this morning, but I was too into singing "every woman in the world".

8 witty remarks:

Kristin said...

Ahhh...Air Supply...I have to agree - nothing is better to break up to! I think what makes those years seem so carefree now is that we are so far beyond them! :)

Enchantresses Three said...

Oh the memories! I remember making out with my boyfriend while listening to "making love out of nothing at all!":) Those were the days! So funny! I turned the big 3-0 last year, it was a hard one for me! Hope yours is wonderful!
Hugs,
Sariah

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for that c.d.!!!! Jason took me to see them in concert, it was pure bliss!!!!!
Lori

Macey said...

Okay, so you're 29...you're too young for Air Supply! Even I'm too young for A.S. and I'm 32! :)

Dawn Wilson said...

Found your blog through FeedJit. I do love Air Supply even though a lot of people think they are "old." But only those of us old enough to remember them can really understand just what it was about them that made them so cool. I remember, as a teen, I'd sit in my parents' car and cry over boyfriend woes while those songs played.

samantha said...

Fun going down memory lane

samantha said...

Fun going down memory lane

Mama-Face said...

I am a bunch older than you (I've lived through the H.S. years of 3 of my children already) but I still feel the same way I did back in high school days; I just look a tiny bit different. ha. A huge bit. High School never ends.